Which IT and technology employers offer summer internships or industrial placements?
Some graduate employers in the IT sector offer technology internships or formal work placements that can range from a couple of months during the summer vacation to a full sandwich year as part of your degree course. Often these are aimed at penultimate-year students. However, investment banks, a big employer of computer science graduates, are increasingly also holding short 'insights programmes' aimed at first years, or second years on four-year degrees.
Many employers use their placement schemes as the first stage in graduate recruitment - interns who impress may be fast-tracked through the graduate recruitment process.
Below is a selection of big-name technology recruiters who offer internships most years. Also take advantage of your university careers service to uncover opportunities with smaller employers.
IT summer internships
- ARM offers summer placements
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch offers internships in numerous divisions, including technology
- Barclays offers summer internships in its technology division
- BT offers summer placements in technology divisions
- Citi offers summer internships. These are primarily for penultimate-year students, though finalists can also apply.
- Commerzbank offers summer internships in various areas, including IT
- Credit Suisse offers summer internships in various divisions, including information technology
- Deutsche Bank offers summer internships of eight to ten weeks in various divisions, including group technology and operations
- Goldman Sachs offers summer internships
- Google offers internships lasting between three months and one year. It has previously also offered a twelve-week 'trainee summer programme' for first years and a one-week 'European android camp' for first and second years.
- HSBC Global Banking and Markets offers summer internships
- IBM offers 12-week 'Extreme Blue' summer placements for second years
- Imagination Technologies offers summer placements
- Metaswitch Networks offers summer internships (NB these are not restricted by year group - students in their first year, and who have not yet started university, are welcome to apply)
- M&G Investments offers summer internships in various divisions, including IT and technology
- Morgan Stanley offers summer internships in technology
- Nomura offers summer internships
- Red Gate Software offers summer internships
- RM Education sometimes offers short internships (advertised on an 'as and when' basis)
- SunGard offers summer internships
- Tessella currently only offers summer internships to Oxford University physics undergraduates
- UBS offers summer internships in numerous areas, including IT
IT industrial placements
- ARM offers industrial placements
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch offers industrial placements in its technology division
- Barclays offers industrial placements
- BT offers industrial placements
- Commerzbank sometimes offers year-long industrial placements, depending on business need.
- Credit Suisse offers industrial placements in its IT division
- Deutsche Bank offers placements
- Fidessa offers industrial placements for penultimate-year students
- Goldman Sachs offers technology placements
- Google offers internships lasting between three months and one year
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise offers internships in IT, typically lasting around a year
- IBM offers industrial placements for students undertaking this as part of their degree
- Imagination Technologies offers industrial placements
- CGI offers industrial placements
- Metaswitch Networks offers industrial placements
- M&G Investments offers industrial placements in IT and technology (and in business and IT analysis)
- Microsoft offers industrial placements
- Morgan Stanley offers technology industrial placements lasting either 6 or 11 months
- Nomura offers industrial placements
- Red Gate Software offers an industrial placement
- RM Education offers industrial placements
- UBS offers industrial placements in some areas, including IT
Spring insight programmes and other IT work experience options
- Barclays offers off-cycle internships throughout the year for four to six months. It also offers week long spring weeks programmes to introduce first years (and second years on four-year courses) to the organisation.
- Citi sometimes has ad hoc placements available, typically lasting between 6 and 12 weeks. Citi also offers various short springtime events.
- Credit Suisse offers five-day spring insight programmes, one of which covers 'investment banking operations: information technology and finance'. It has previously also offered three-month internships running from September until December.
- Deutsche Bank offers one-week spring programmes, plus off-cycle internships of varying lengths on an ad hoc basis.
- Goldman Sachs offers two-week spring programmes in various divisions, including technology
- Morgan Stanley offers spring insight weeks
- Nomura offers short introductory events for first years (and second years on four year courses)
- UBS offers a one-week 'insights' scheme in the spring
Keep track of your IT placements
Keep detailed records of what work experience you've done, where, when and what you learned, and keep this list up to date. Come application time you can easily scan for the skills and examples that relate specifically to the role you're applying for.